-nothing can replace the love that awakens your heart. Hold fast to that love.Though life often seems determined to fling difficulties in your path.- by Thomas Fleming; Remember the Morning

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Caregiver's Diary 1

This is me with ever sweet grandma. She is my job for more than a year and seven months now. It was a tough job during my first three months. All those times I was adjusting to the language (Chinese), their culture, thier way of life, the weather, and almost everything about myself too. Thier languange was my greatest challenge, I can't understand anything and Granma can't speak English too. But because I am going to take care of her until, hopefully, I'll finish my contract, so I read a lot of my Tagalog-Chinese handouts and learn mostly by experience.
Almost everyday I have the same routine to follow. Wake up at 7am, bring gramna to the toilet (she can walk with my help), get her ready for breakfast. I usually let her wait in the kitchen table while I am preparing for her favorite breakfast, toast and peanut butter and milk. Eager to help me prepare but she cannot manage to get up and sometimes she feel sad about it. But by the way, Granma was diagnosed to have Alzhiemers disease, she looks happy in the above picture I have taken last night. This was her happy mood, after five minutes, she will be sad or angry. And sometimes she will snap at me calling me names because she don't know me. Or sometimes when she eats I have to tell her what to do. The basic everyday routine she was suppose to do almost all her life that she forgets. It was sad to look at her like a child, really. That is why i learned to adjust and loved her though there were times i find it difficult.
I have to live my life. I chose it this way and I'm geting by. =)

1 comment:

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

My mother in law had Alzheimers so I know how your job can be, without even the problems of language.